The Portuguese Institute of Sinology is currently organizing its 5thInternational Sinology Forum, to be held in 2010, from 26 to 28 February in Lisbon and from 5 to 7 March in Oporto, on the topic "China Exposed, Imposed, Proposed". For this purpose it is welcoming papers from specialists on China, in particular researchers, scholars and postgraduate students. The
5th International Sinology Forum will, like in past editions, be following a multidisciplinary approach and will be looking forward to congregating a wide range of analyses from a variety of perspectives. It shall be interested in developing in particular, subject to the general focus, the following themes:
1. Theoretical Models for the Analysis of China.
2. China Exposed, Imposed, Proposed: Representations of China.
3. Visual Arts in China.
4. Visions of China in the Chinese Diaspora.
5. The Media in China and on China.
6. Made in China: China Exposed, Consumption and Material Culture.
7. Tourism in China.
8. Exhibitions in China and China in Exhibitions.
9. Expo Shanghai 2010: City and Urban Living.
10. Shanghai in Western Literature and Cinema.
Please send abstracts of proposed papers (together with a short Curriculum Vitae of no more than one page) to email@example.com by 31 March 2009.
The abstracts should not exceed 500 words and will be analyzed by an international committee of experts. The Portuguese Institute of Sinology will notify applicants of its final decision by 31 May 2009. Panelists will be offered a three-night stay in Lisbon or Oporto, depending on where they will be presenting their papers, and there will be funding for later publication of some of the papers in the Journal of Chinese Studies of the Portuguese Institute of Sinology, the Revista de Estudos Chineses ????.